Tuesday 3 January 2012

New Facebook Group - Occupy Leaflets

I have started a new Facebook group called Occupy Leaflets. 

It may seem a little old fashioned to some in this Internet age but a great way to reach people and make them think is still the printed word.

I am proud to say that I went on the Occupy LSX March on Parliament on November 5th. I treasure the flyer I was given. Information about the march on one side and the Occupy LSX initial statement on the other. It was a bit crumpled from being in my pocket but I laminated it to save it for posterity.

What we need is leaflets like this that accomplish on a single sheet of paper, explaining something about the Occupy movement and how the rest of the 99% need to wake up and join us before it is too late.

My idea is to have a wiki to contain down-loadable leaflet designs in open source file formats with Creative Commons licensing. These can then be taken by anyone with a printer and a desire to 'do their bit' in the form of running off a few hundred copies of a statement they can themselves believe in.

The Occupy movement needs to grow. There will always be the 'head in the sand' types who do not want to be disturbed from their football or shopping but we need to gain the majority of the people who do care about what is going to happen to them in the very near future.

I think leafleting if done well could have a great impact in reaching that goal - a democracy with so many voices that are part of it that the leaders and vested interests have no choice but to listen. "There are more of us than there are of you".

If you share this view and want to get involved in creating these leaflets or using them once created then join the group!

No comments:

Post a Comment